For any developers who are creating a custom skill for Alexa, Amazon has provided a number of templates. These are complete examples of code that you can easily add your data and create your own custom skill. You can review these and get an idea for how they work, which in turn gives you an idea of how you need to implement your own solution. At the very least, reviewing these standard templates is a great way to learn how templates work.
Here are some of the available Alexa Skill Templates you might find valuable:
- Trivia - Shows you how to create a trivia quiz-style skill. Here is just one example.
- Fact Card - A template for a new audio statement provided daily. It can take the form of a 'Fact of the Day' or 'Joke of the Day'. Here is one example.
- How To - Demonstrates how to create a direction based skill, that is one that provides step-by-step instructions.
- Flash Cards - Lets you create audio flash cards. Here is one example.
- Calendar Reader - Shows you how to integrate with a public calendar feed.
- Adventure - This is not just a template, but also an interactive tool (you need to set it up on your system) hosted in a web browser that lets you create adventure games. It was used to create the Wayne Investigation skill. This template takes more work in setting up (you need Node.js installed locally to start). Unless you are already more advanced, you might want to wait on reviewing this.
- City Guide - Give all kinds of information about a city or location. Here is one example.
- GameHelper - build game guides or user guides for your favorite game.
Each of these templates include step by step instructions for how to define the skill in the Alexa Developer portal and how to deploy to AWS to hsot your skill. The linked documentation is pretty good, beware that sometimes these are written up, and then later, the screens change a bit in the developer portal and AWS. It is usually fairly minor, but it can make it a bit more difficult if you are new to the topics and AWS. Usually, it is just settings and options are selected differently then they are shown in the example screen shots.